Environment and Quality
Palm Products’ Sustainability and Safety Policy
Palm Products is committed to using industry best practice and to introducing more sustainable and safer materials and production processes as they become available.
Food-Safety. There are legitimate questions on the safety of many plastics and of melamine. Palm Products has taken the following actions:
- BPA-containing polycarbonate has been phased out.
- Material sourcing is preferred from leading companies like Dupont and from companies with 100% traceability, as substitution and trust is considered an important issue.
- Product labelling includes material type
- If US or Euro authorities have safety concerns expressed as a “minimum daily safe intake” – such as exists for Polycarbonate and Melamine – these materials will not be used
Sustainability is determined by such factors as whether a product contains renewably source material, the material’s energy of manufacture, the economy of material usage in the product, the energy used during processing, the products useful life, and disposal. Palm Products has taken the following actions:
- Sorona, a new 35% Renewably sourced material from Dupont is used in the new Sorona Plate and Bowl collection, even though it is significantly more expensive than inferior alternatives.
- In sourcing raw materials, the energy used from extraction, through useful life to disposal is considered
- Energy efficient European equipment is used
- Palm Products is accredited to environmental standard ISO14001 which mandates that there is an effective on-going improvement plan to reduce environmental inputs and outputs
- Long life materials are used – for example, products made from Tritan and Sorona are guaranteed unbreakable and dishwasher safe and so will out-last lesser material many times – saving replacement.
- Designs are robust and long lasting
- All materials used are 100% recyclable
Palm Products is a BPA-free company
The company took the decision early in 2014 to phase out the sale of BPA-containing polycarbonate.
The key reasons behind this decision are as follows:
- The��USFDA and the European Commission have placed it on their watch list and proscribe a minimum safe daily intake.
- France has banned its use��for food contact from 1st January 2015.
- California has listed polycarbonate ingredient BPA as a hazardous chemical to the Proposition 65 list. The base polymer of polycarbonate is BPA.
- Its use for baby bottles has been phased out in most countries
- Evidence indicates that it passes through the body without build-up, but it has binding affinity with estrogen and androgen receptors – it mimics a hormone.
- Research shows some evidence of harmful effects but it is so far inconclusive.
- Palm Products’ view is that it is difficult to assess the long-term effect of small dosages, and that it is not a good idea to pass hormone mimicing substances through one’s body.
- Palm Products’ view is that consumers, retailers and producers should be cautious and not offer BPA containing PC.
Palm Products aims to produce the world’s finest quality drink and table ware at its state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Melbourne Australia.
The facility is accredited to quality standard ISO9001 and the much tougher automotive standard TS 16949. These accreditations ensure that procedures are in place to control product quality from receipt of raw materials to delivery to customer, with traceability of raw materials and end product. We can trace a product purchased anywhere in the world back to its date of production, where production parameters are recorded, back to its raw material and its date of production
Importantly, the system drives continuous improvement in all facets of the business by highlighting areas of waste and non-conformity and by then taking action.
Automotive production is built around zero-defect delivery. If one faulty part is delivered to the vehicle assembly plant, it can halt the whole production line. Costs involved can be passed back to the part supplier. In order to survive in this industry, systems, equipment and staff have to be good enough to achieve zero-defects for each and every delivery. Quality must be built-in. There is no room for compromise.
The benefits for our customers are affordable products made to the highest standards.
Palm Products aims to minimize its impact on the environment
This standard requires Palm Products to measure its environmental impact and to have active programs and procedures in-place to reduce it. This includes a policy of purchasing the latest low-energy moulding equipment from Europe, often replacing older less efficient equipment. It also extends to the specification and design of consumer products. These are made from unbreakable materials that are dishwasher safe and will last indefinitely. This contrasts with most products in this category which have a comparatively short life and require frequent replacement.
All plastic materials used can be recycled.
All materials used to make Palm drink and tableware are certified as passing the European Commission and the US Food and Drug Administration food contact standards.
All products are made in Palm’s factory in Melbourne Australia which assists in achieving total control over materials and production processes.
Lifetime Product Guarantee – Replacement Policy
- Products made from Tritan and Sorona are guaranteed to be unbreakable in normal use.
- Any product confirmed by visual inspection to have a defect in materials or workmanship, or if made from Tritan or Sorona and were broken or were not dishwasher safe in normal use will be replaced or purchase price refunded. Reasonable costs of transport will be refunded.
- Products damaged by normal wear, improper care (see below) or abuse will not be replaced.
How to claim a replacement
Place of Purchase Simply return the product to the place of purchase with the original sales docket and it will be replaced free of charge (depending on store’s policy)
Or send the product with a request for replacement to:
704 South Road
- Tritan and Sorona materials are dishwasher safe and will last indefinitely with normal levels of heat and detergent. Some older dishwashers can have elevated drying temperatures above 120 degrees C which can result in some surface defects in Tritan, and a softening of the non-slip material. Structural integrity will however remain intact.
- Modern dishwashers with their low velocity jets and moderate temperatures of around 75 degrees C are the best way to retain the original surface sparkle and clarity. Tritan and Sorona will last indefinitely under these conditions.
- If washing by hand, no prescription online pharmacy, avoid using a scourer or nylon brush as this may scratch the surface.
- Light buffing with a lens cleaning cloth will remove some small scratches.
- Avoid using some aniseed based drinks such as Ouzo, Pastis, Ricard and Pernod as they may cause permanent damage.
- Avoid using strong solvents as they may cause permanent damage.
Fax (61) (0)3 9532 0144
- 05 Jun 2017War on Waste – Save a tram-full of disposable coffee cupshttp://http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/war-on-waste-stories/DC1624H015S00 The ABC in Australia took...