Palm Sorona® Plate and Bowl Collection
New Palm Unbreakable Plate & Bowl Collection
Beautiful Practical Sustainable
Winner of a 2016 Red Dot Award
Winner of a 2015 Australian Good Design Award
The Good-Design Award Judges commented:
“An intricate intersection of high-end materials, technology, advanced manufacturing and beautiful design – all executed immaculately. The end product is an elegant, functional and highly desirable range that is underpinned by good design and solid environmental credentials.”
The Palm Unbreakable Plate and Bowl Collection is the first genuine new product is this category for many years. It follows Palm Products’ aim of “creating beautiful and useful products – products that people will value and enjoy using.” It is superior to melamine products in design, function and value.
- It is revolutionary because:
- – Its method of manufacture enables a integral non-slip ring on the base
- – Its advanced materials are BPA-free and Melamine-free, unbreakable, dishwasher safe, microwave safe for reheating, scratch resistant, safe and recyclable
- Its award wining design is beautiful and practical.
The technologies used make existing melamine and plastic plates and bowls obsolete. It is changing the market and is lead to increased category sales because it meets consumer’s requirements better
The top surface is made from Sorona®
- A new Dupont material that is 35% made from renewable corn waste
- Super-tough high-gloss surface, high density, high weight
The surfaces blend seamlessly from one curve to another.
The shapes are open and welcoming.
The shapes are beautiful to hold
The toughness of the material enables the rims to be fine
The outer shapes are slightly different to the inside ones
The operating surfaces are flat
The edges of the plates are raised for easy holding and to restrain the contents. Similarly, the bowl is deep to restrain the contents and is tapered for easy holding. The collection stacks securely and efficiently for transport and for storage (often in boats or RV’s). The sizes fit in typical galleys and RVs and are a suitable size for outdoor use. They are suitable for children. The Plates have large effective area.
Coloured Integral Non-slip ring
A non-slip ring is moulded on the base using 2-shot injection moulding.
The non-slip ring acts coaster, protecting table surfaces from scratching and insulating from hot contents. When placed on a table, the soft non-slip material deadens the “clank” and enhances the pleasure in use. A great feature for children.
The ring is available in Black, Navy Blue (Klein Blue), Vivid Blue, Orange
A chemical bond between the 2 materials ensures that it cannot come off and importantly cannot collect debris from washing. In melamine plates and bowls with non-slip rings, the ring is stuck onto the base using a process that is difficult to control for accuracy and for gluing consistency. Rings can come-off and not be in correct position. There is a gap between the plates annulus and the ring which is almost impossible to wash properly and is a trap for unsightly and unhealthy debris and mould from washing.
Consumers will generally use ceramic plates unless risk of breakage is unacceptable or is a safety issue. This tough material when combined with robust design enables the collection to be guaranteed unbreakable in normal use. It can be thrown on the ground, dropped from a great height and it will bounce. It cannot be broken in the hand. Melamine is only break-resistant. This melamine plate shattered after dropping on its edge from less than 1 meter. It shattered into sharp pieces, creating a safety issue for bare feet and potentially damaging floors surfaces. Melamine plates are only break-resistant so only partially fill their primary role.
Guaranteed Dishwasher Safe
The materials used are able to withstand dishwasher temperatures and chemicals.
Microwave Safe for Reheating
Food and liquids can be safely reheated. Melamine is not recommended for reheating because its surface is porous to water which turns to steam in a microwave which can crack the plate
Scratch and Stain Resistant – a key innovation
The tough surface is highly scratch and stain resistant. This has been enhanced using the same coating technology found on computers and phones to make them scratch resistant. This combination overcomes the scratch-resistant constraint normally associated with plastic, making it a viable, long-lasting and superior alternative to melamine.
Both materials used are USDA & EU approved for food contact – without qualification. Melamine is considered unsafe by some consumers and there is a growing reaction against it use. The US FTA concedes that melamine is potentially unsafe and qualifies its safety by proscribing maximum daily safety limits. There is also the issue of melamine’s manufacture in uncertified factories and possible use of heavy metal based colours. In 2007, the Mattel toy company was involved in a scandal involving lead contamination. On August 14, 2007, Mattel recalled over 18 million products. Many of the products had exceeded the US limits set on surface coatings that contain lead. It is difficult to detect non-compliance.
Palm Products’ factory in Moorabbin, Victoria is certified to quality standards ISO 9001, automotive quality standard TS16949 and environment standard ISO14001. This gives consumers confidence that material use are safe and cheaper alternatives are not substituted. This gives retailers confidence there will not be recalls and returns.
All materials are 100% recyclable. Melamine is a thermoset plastic so it cannot be recycled.
Palm Products’ factory is accredited to ISO14001, using the latest European low-energy equipment, virtually without waste – so resources are conserved.
The energy involved in import transportation is saved
Sorona® EP contains 35% renewably sourced corn waste from Kentucky USA.
Sorona® uses less energy to produce than comparative materials.
Sorona® and the non-slip ring are 100% recyclable. Melamine is a thermoset plastic which cannot be re-melted and recycled.
The collection will virtually last forever as it is unbreakable, dishwasher safe, scratch resistant and has a robust design – thereby conserving resources.
The collection is made in a factory accredited to ISO14001, using the latest European low-energy equipment, virtually without waste – also conserving resources
Top 10 reasons to purchase Palm Sorona Plates and Bowl Collection
1.Beautiful and Functional Design by Robert Wilson
- Winner of a 2016 Red Dot Award and a 2015 Good-Design Award.
2.Superior mirror finish, colour density and quality feel
- Similar to fine bone china.
- By comparison, the surface of melamine is dull and cheap-feeling.
- Once a Palm Sorona plate or bowl has been has been used, there is no going back to melamine.
3.Raised edges on plates and high sides on bowl
- Keep contents from spilling
- No wasteful rims
- Shapes are space efficient and stack securely.
4.Non-slip ring on base
- It is moulded on – and cannot come-off or collect debris.
- Some melamine plates have a non-slip ring. This is usually glued into an annulus. Washing debris can get caught and is difficult to clean. The glue can weaken over-time eventually coming off.
- The non-slip ring prevents movement
- It acts a coaster – protecting the table from heat or scratching
- It absorbs vibration & noise – giving the plate a more solid feel.it.
- It prevents rattling during transport or while a boat is in motion.
5.The surface is more stain-resistant than melamine.
- The surface of Sorona is like a mirror
- The surface of melamine is slightly porous so can absorb stains.
6. Sorona® is made from 35% renewably sourced material
- Made from corn-waste in Kentucky USA.
- 100% recyclable. Melamine is 0% recyclable. It is a thermo-set plastic so it cannot be re-melted and hence cannot be recycled. It ends up as landfill.
7.Sorona is BPA-free and Melamine free.
- Sorona® is made by DuPont, a highly ethical company.
- There are legitimate question over the food safety of melamine, its purity, and the safety of the colours used. Traceability is almost impossible in many cases.
8.The Sorona collection is:
- Guaranteed Unbreakable. Melamine can break if dropped, usually with sharp unsafe pieces.
- Guaranteed dishwasher safe – it is a high-temperature material stable to 150 degrees C and dishwasher chemical resistant
- Water can be safely boiled
- Foods with high oil content can be re-heated as long as oil does not boil (1-2 minutes)
- Melamine is not recommended for microwave. It porous surface can absorb moisture which can turn to steam when microwaved – causing cracking
10.Made in Australia in Palm Product’s factory
- Accredited to quality standard ISO9001, automotive standard TS16949, and Environmental standard ISO14001
- Gives total control over process and material used (no substitution)
- Product is traceable back to day of production and material batch
Large plate – 25.4cm diameter
Medium plate – 21cm diameter
Bowl – 15cm diameter 8cm high
Navy Blue (Klein Blue)
Fax (61) (0)3 9532 0144